Grown-Up Grilled Cheese
For kids, a grilled cheese is often the gold standard when it comes to mealtime favorites. What’s not to love? Perfectly melted cheese surrounded on both sides by two pieces of well-buttered, crispy bread. The Illinois dairy farmers who proudly raise these ingredients – cheese and butter – might just be bigger fans than the kids eating them.
But you as a parent should enjoy some cheesy love, too. And maybe the classic approach doesn’t quite cut it for you. So, we give you: the Grown-Up Grilled Cheese.
- Whipped Feta Spread
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces feta crumbles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Artisanal bread, sliced
- Roma tomato, sliced
- Mozzarella, sliced
- Dry-cured beef prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon dried chives (optional)
- Mix cream cheese, feta crumbles and olive oil with a hand mixer. Add in dried basil, minced garlic and cracked black pepper until the seasonings are evenly combined.
- Spread the whipped feta on one slice of artisanal bread. Layer on dried chives (optional). Add mozzarella cheese, dry-cured beef prosciutto and tomato slices.
- Spread butter on the outsides of the sandwich then cover and grill. Flip the sandwich on the pan until each side is golden brown.
- Once the outside is golden and crispy and the cheese is melted, remove the sandwich from the pan and enjoy!