Food Labels: Grab it vs. Leave it
When food is drowned in labels, it can be hard to make the right choice for your family. Some of this information helps, but then there are marketing labels that charge a premium and mislead rather than clarify, hindering your ability to pick out healthy, nutritious food for you and your family.
Let us help you stick to what is most important to you.
- Nutrition label – Turn to the back of the box to get information about what nutrients food offers you and your family.
- Ingredients list – Listed in descending order based on quantity, make sure the first ingredients on this list are foods you want to be feeding your family.
- Natural – This label only has a defined meaning on meat products, on which it requires meat to be “minimally processed.” No indication of how food was raised or the safety or nutritional value.
- Non-GMO – This label is irrelevant on any items other than these ten foods.
- Pork raised without added hormones – Hormones are NEVER used in pork or poultry farming, which makes this label completely unnecessary.
- Antibiotic-free – Thanks to strict withdrawal times, responsible use and testing, all food is free of antibiotics.
Don’t waste your dollars on meaningless marketing labels, spend them where they count – buying nutritious food for your family.