Beefy Sweet And Sloppy Joes
This kid-friendly recipe uses local produce and beef from Illinois farmers just like Alan and JoAnn Adams.
- 1 pound Ground Beef (96% lean)
- 1 cup chopped yellow, green or red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can or bottle (12 ounces) 100% vegetable juice
- 2 tablespoon lightly-packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, bell pepper and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef up into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
- Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
- Stir in vegetable juice, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 7 to 9 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Evenly place beef mixture on bottom half of each bun; close sandwiches.
Reposted with permission from Beef. It’s what’s for dinner.